Director of Engineering - Venture Studios
TribalScale is a digital innovation firm that brings organizations — from the startup to the enterprise — into the future. We help our clients strategize, design, and build digital products through transformation engagements and individual project-builds. We’re not afraid to roll up our sleeves and dive in deep to transforms teams; we teach the methods, the processes, and best practices needed to think and work like leading startups. And with TribalScale Venture Studios, we create disruptive startups in partnership with corporates and entrepreneurs. We’re headquartered in Toronto and have offices around the world. The future is bright, and we’re always looking for excited technologists and futurists to create and transform with us.
ABOUT VENTURE STUDIOS
TribalScale Venture Studios partners with entrepreneurs and corporates to create, source, and scale disruptive startups.
Venture Studios is based on an open model of corporate innovation, we leverage ideas, resources, and go-to-market paths from both inside and outside of a corporation’s four walls. Alongside industry advisors, each studio follows a detailed process that encompasses startup ideation, sourcing, and filtering. From there, TribalScale Venture Studios continues with prototyping, product development, iteration, and then company scaling.
We partner with corporations to build Venture Studios in key verticals that we have the greatest opportunity to leverage our expertise and networks, such as: Enterprise Product, Transportation, Media, Financial Services, Travel and Tourism, Real Estate, Retail, Sports and Entertainment. We jointly identify, build, and scale startups in technology areas such as: Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Voice, Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies, Connected Devices, In-Vehicle Tech, Internet-of-Things (IoT), Augmented & Virtual Reality (AR/VR).
TribalScale is looking for an entrepreneurial Director of Engineering to support our team in building technology solutions for startups and and bringing their products to life. You will be responsible for evaluating companies and their technology solutions, growing, managing and mentoring our engineers that build these solutions, and performing interim CTO services for our flegling companies. You will assist our Ventures team by advising and helping shape the technology decisions for our portfolio of startups. You have experience building software across web and mobile and enjoy learning about new technology. You have a curious mind and enjoy talking ideas with innovative entrepreneurs that need help realizing their technology concepts and ideas. Come join our fast growing innovation firm!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Evaluate startups and their technology solutions and advise the senior team
- Work with our ventures and build technology solutions
- Utilize best practice engineering methods and provide expert technical guidance for engineering initiatives
- Create/design and manage requirements for systems and drive development from start to completion (including hands-on coding if needed)
- Manage the growth of the engineering team, onboarding new hires and overseeing recruitment
- Mentor the engineers, acting as a role model, while working to ensure team members are growing professionally and quality products are being developed
- Provide interim CTO services and attend any meetings or other requests that relate to explaining the technology solutions built for each company
- Support the team in day-to-day operations and improving engineering resource allocation, efficiency and output
- Represent engineering in cross-functional projects and to the company at large
- 6+ years of development experience
- 1+ years of direct people management experience
- Experience building production software with a focus on web or mobile
- Strong experience with agile methodologies of software development
- Excellent communication skills and a history of working with various internal and external stakeholders
- Comfortable with the start-up environment and interest in helping us grow to the next level!
WHY YOU WANT TO BE AT TRIBALSCALE
- Our values: Meritocracy, empowerment, and transparency.
- Our skills: Our teams were at the front of the mobile revolution. We are expert builders in voice tech, and now, we're connecting the world. We work with brands including the NBA, Twitter, ABC, the CBC, Autonomic, and many more.
- You matter: Everyone sits at the table and is valued. We love to be challenged, are happy to go with the flow, and we trust our gut.
- Growth: We’re a rocketship ready to take-off. We promise you’ll get your hands dirty in every aspect of the business, and there are tremendous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Seize them.
Stay Happy & Healthy
- Health benefits: 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Wealthsimple Group Retirement Savings Plan (GRSP)
- Generous maternity and paternity leave policies
- Daily hot breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen: unlimited drinks and snacks
- Office fitness and social events
- Office closed over Winter holidays
- Corporate-discounted GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis: company perk plan
- Free Netflix membership
Make Meaningful Connections
- Friday socials to cap off a great week
- Regular office activities: game nights, movie nights, group fitness, and more
- Quarterly team events: axe-throwing, beach day, and more
- Take your pick at a gaming break: Super Smash Bros, foosball, ping pong
Discover Your Potential
- Tickets to local events, conferences & meet-ups
- Out-of-town conference subsidies
- $2000 annual professional development allowance
- Weekly Lunch & Learns with industry leaders
- $3000 referral bonus
Want To See The World?
Our employees have the opportunity to rotate through our offices, giving employees the chance to travel, experience new cultures and discover their full potential.
At TribalScale our company is built on doing things differently and challenging the status quo. We don’t just support differences, we celebrate and thrive on difference for the benefit of our employees, our solutions, and our partners.
TribalScale is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, able-bodiedness or gender identity.
If you require accommodation for any reason, please let us know as we are more than happy to accommodate all.